Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Journal 2: School 2.0 Reflection Tool

This journal discusses growth in NETS-T 5. 

The School 2.0 reflection tool provided insight into my perspective on technology. Through this tool I was able to determine my weakness with room for improvement. I was also given many resources to guide me toward a better understanding of technology.  



Summary:
After working with the Reflection Tool on School 2.0 ("Reflection tool results," ), it was evident I can improve upon my dependency on technology in collaboration with the global and digital society. I specifically struggled with my abilities to design and develop digital-age learning experience and assessments(NETS-T 2) and to engage in professional growth and leadership(NETS-T 5). In reading through the suggested resources, I found myself struggling to adapt new ways of thinking. I found I am comfortable with my areas of weakness. However, as a future professional educator, I must strive to grow and improve my dependency upon technology.

After struggling with NETS-T 2, I read through Grow Your Personal Learning Network by David Warlick. In my reading, it is evident technology has been invented to assist human living; or at least, that’s the intentions of technology (David, 2009). The many Personal Learning Networks (PLNs) provide each individual with adequate resources to design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and resources to promote learning and creativity ("Digital age teaching,"). However, the situation can be made even simpler with the Really Simple Syndication(RSS) aggregator (David, 2009). Therefore, technology provides efficient means to design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments. However, technology’s beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. I say this because technology wants to be our friend, but we are not sure what commitment lies behind the relationship. Once I am introduced to one portion of technology and the resources it provides, I become comfortable in our ways. I do not always look for more technological efficient resources. This is because in doing so I would have to convert my repertoire of information. Therefore, I do not allow technology function in the best way it has been designed. Even if technology is efficient, I as an operators am not. Therefore my struggle with technological efficiency continues to fight as it builds it's reputation of within my learning enviornment.

After struggling with NETS-T 5 and reading through the Reflection Tool Results on School 2.0 ("Reflection tool results," ) I began to recognize the parallels between interpersonal relationships and online communities. In my contemplation, it was evident there exists many similarities. I was convicted for not having recognized this before. The online community has been defined as having digital citizenship (Mike, 2012). Within any community there lies responsibilities. As I began to recognize my role as a digital citizen, I had to admit to myself, I have fallen into naive neglect. The Reflection Tool Results pointed me toward an online website and resource, Digital Citizenship by Mike Ribble. On Digital Citizenship, I learned I hold the responsibility to engage in professional growth and leadership. As a future educator and digital citizen, it is my obligation to inform society of the importance the nine elements of digital citizenship: digital access, digital commerce, digital communication, digital literacy, digital etiquette, digital law, digital rights and responsibilities, digital health and wellness and digital security (Mike, 2012). If I were to ignore this responsibility to my students and their development, I would be serving a dishonor to both them and society abroad.

References
David, W. (2009). Grow your personal learning network.Learning and; Leading with Technology, Retrieved from http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/EJ831435.pdf
Mike, R. (2012). Nine elements of digital citizenship. Retrieved from http://www.digitalcitizenship.net/Nine_Elements.html
Reflection tool results. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://etoolkit.org/etoolkit/reflection/result


No comments:

Post a Comment