Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Journal 7: Personal Learning Network

Dimbert, S. (Producer). (2011). The learning equation. [Web Video]. Retrieved from http://edupln.com/video/the-learning-equation-a-case-for-blended-learning

This article discussed growth in NETS-T 1, NETS-T 3, and NETS-T 5.

PLN stands for a personal learning network. A PLN is used in the professional world to capitalize on available resources, colleges, to facilitate efficient communication, and organize professional development. My PLN is made up of websites such as Twitter, Diigo, Edmodo, Linkedin, and Blogger. Through these websites I am learning how to be wise with my personal development. These websites are made up of valuable tools that enable me to become more proficient within the field of education. I, now as a prospective educator, can connect with well-seasoned educators about the milestones I have been encountering. The great part is, these mentors want to see me develop in a successful manner. The many other educators, from the ‘well-seasoned’ to the fresh interns are more than willing to guide and support newbies like me. The professional educators that participate in such online communities would have died for the resources that are available to the newest generation of prospective educators. For this reason the Personal Learning Networks are a give and take society. In receiving information it is admirable to give information. This courtesy creates a supportive environment to develop within which benefits the educational experience as a whole.

I am a new member to Twitter. I am glad to be part of such a productive social environment. Upon entering into a hashtag chat, it is as if you are reading a professional newspaper. The great part about Twitter replacing the newspaper is that the majority of information within an educational hashtag chat is relevant to topics an educator might be struggling with. I am currently following 29 people. The people I am following are peers in my teaching credential program. I have chosen to follow my peers as they are great surroundings at this stage of my professional development. My peers are reading and becoming introduced to many of the same resources I am interacting with. Thus, in following them, they will be posting relevant information that pertains to me and my stage of educational development. My first educational chat was at 2pm PST on June 24, 2012. I entered into the #edchat where there where many resources posted pertaining to educational updates, struggles, and discoveries all across the country.

I am also new to Diigo. Diigo is a great online bookmarking resource. Diigo searches through the many resources available on the web. There are many search engines out there. Diigo provides tools to compliment bookmarking and searching. Thus far, I have used the annotation abilities, highlighting applications, and tagroll features on Diigo. These features allow me to organize my research and share my findings with others. I am following 5 other Diigo users. The 5 people I have found to follow seem to be a valuable resource. I searched for these people using keywords that interest me and my development. Many of the people I am following are interested in teaching mathematics efficiently at the secondary level. To learn from others helps me as I develop as a professional educator. I tagged three resources PLN on Diigo to be easily accessible. One of the resources was a journal discussion full of advice and guidance through many stages of building a PLN. One of the other resources provided many communities to participate in and the last resource disused how to share digital tools and resources with students within the classroom. With these resources, and many more, I can feel comfortable and confident as I enter into the profession of education.

I joined the Educators PLN. The Educators PLN works as a platform for me to create my own online social network. I have explored various resources available through Educators PLN. The one that interested me most pertains to what was described as The Learning Equation(Dimbert, 2011). The Learning Equation has been formulated where instruction constantly battles to increase learning in the classroom, while time stays constant. However there have been and always will be a challenge for more knowledgeable students. Therefore, focusing on learning as the constant, time will no longer be the restraint. The video suggests focusing on the many resources that are available online to create more productive environments within the classroom. When students are encouraged and enticed to learn online outside of the classroom, there is then more time in the classroom. It is important to keep learning as the goal and when learning stays constant in our equation we have gone through the right procedure for an optimal learning outcome.

I commented on Kristin Viner and Heriberto Rodriguez's blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment